Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Ancestral Saga?

Is it possible to claim the Exodus story as an “ancestral saga” of my own? If I think about it honestly, I’d have to say that I’ve thought of the Exodus narrative as somehow removed from my own history. This is not to say that I didn’t accept the relevance of the story but it just seemed like someone else’s story. Exploring the wealth of commentary on the Exodus story has reminded me of a history that I do claim as my own. Just three and four generations ago, my own ancestors left behind trials, crossed the waters and settled in a hoped-for Promised Land. Subsequent generations have struggled to validate the heroic efforts of those who came before with a steadfast determination to make a better life for each coming generation. Never absent, at least has it seemed to me, was an unfailing faith in God. Surely, my ancestors were conscious of the Exodus story and perhaps they felt a kindred link to the wandering Israel. If I believe in the same God that delivered my own ancestors, then perhaps I can also claim the same freedom given to Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment