Monday, March 28, 2011

Salvation: Part B

Rob Bell has written a new book, Love Wins, and its release has not been without a fair amount of controversy. As I see it, most of this controversy is not new and the publishing of this book has allowed for an opportunity for others desperate for Bell-like notoriety to get a little attention. The loudest voices of objection are coming from the almost predictably conservative Evangelical Christian front. But, the good news about such a controversy is that every fight needs opposing armies and Bell is not without his supporters too. Here’s Richard Mouw, President of Fuller Theological Seminary:

I told the USA TODAY reporter that Rob Bell’s newly released Love Wins is a fine book and that I basically agree with his theology. I knew that the book was being widely criticized for having crossed the theological bridge from evangelical orthodoxy into universalism. Not true, I told the reporter. Rob Bell is calling us away from a stingy orthodoxy to a generous orthodoxy.


Let me say it clearly: I am not a universalist. I believe hell as a condition in the afterlife is real, and that it will be occupied. I think Rob believes that too. But he is a creative communicator who likes to prod, and even tease us a bit theologically. Suppose, he likes to say, we go up to someone and tell them that God loves them and sent Jesus to die for their sins. Accept Jesus right now, we say, because if ten minutes from now you die without accepting this offer God will punish you forever in the fires of hell. What kind of God are we presenting to the person? Suppose we told someone that their human father has a wonderful gift for them, offered out of love for them-and then we add that, by the way, if they reject the gift that same father will torment them as long as they live. What would we think of such a father?


Mouw’s question is a good one. It seems to get at the heart of what I long for in my own theology of salvation. God’s love is the driving force, not God’s wrath. Time and energy spent scarring people with the threat of damnation seems counter-productive and very counter-intuitive if a God of unconditional love lies behind our salvation. And, the kind of love this father has for me makes a huge difference for today, not just for tomorrow.

I have a t-shirt that says, “Love Conquers Hate.” I wish I could wear it every day. It’s how I feel and may be a helpful slogan for those who cling to the omnipotence of God. God will judge us and God will ultimately decide the future. But for now, for today, love wins.

3 comments:

  1. No one in Red Lodge would mind if you wore that t-shirt everyday. There are lots of locals who I swear have been wearing the same outfit for years. I say, pack it in your summer suitcase --- make summer 2011 the summer of Love Conquering Hate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm flattered that you're reading my blog Nicole! I'll make sure to think of you when I'll pull that shirt out of the drawer next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my reading list after July 10th (when all summer intensive projects are due!). Thanks for your thoughts, Peter. I cannot possibly conceive in my noodle how powerful the love of God is, or begin to fathom a guess as to who is in and who is out of heaven, i.e. Gandhi's out? Rob Bell says in this video trailer with link below that "The Good News is better than we can ever imagine"! Yessirreeebob!
    http://youtu.be/ODUvw2McL8g

    ReplyDelete