Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Word on the Street

I happened upon a strange sight last night. A group of ten or so 16-25 year-olds were sitting in a circle having a bible study. That's not the strange part. Let it be known, I'm pro-bible study and I'm especially impressed with the ages of the group that was gathered. If anything, that's exactly the age demographic that seems least likely to invest any time gathered in community with an open bible in front of them. Note that it was Saturday night, which seems to underline the uniqueness of this particular bible study of young adults. They could have been at the movies, or bowling or even at watching the Twins win their 5th in a row at Target Field but instead, they're studying the bible. But that's still not the strange part.

The strange part is not who was studying the bible or when they were studying the bible. The strange part was where they were studying the bible. They were seated right on the sidewalk in downtown Minneapolis, just outside the doors of Dream Girls, a night club that features female strippers and table dancers. Even stranger was that the Twins game had just gotten over and there were crowds of people filing past, first the velvet ropes of the entryway to the strip club, then the cross-legged bible studiers. I'm guessing that the circle of young folks was very intentional about the when and the where of their bible study. Perhaps it was some form of non-violent protest or maybe they had just gotten kicked out of the pizza place on the corner and needed a place to continue their study. I didn't stop and ask but maybe I should have. Honestly, the whole thing made me feel uncomfortable and a little sad.
"Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119
I need to ask my kids what they thought of the whole scene. I wonder what they found to be more weird, people lining up to watch naked people dance or people sitting in the middle of a sidewalk reading the bible. The culture that was present last night probably thought the bible study was the more "unusual" of the two. I would probably be on that side too. It's not that I think the Word should be kept in particular places. The Word can speak to much more than we tend to allow it space for. The strangeness of the sidewalk bible-study suggests to me how some prefer to "use" the bible in contrast to culture rather than have the Word speak directly to culture.

The Word will shine its light onto many things; good, bad and, from time to time, strange.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the fact they were studying the Bible in such an intentional way. They were there as you said mostly as a non-violent resistance to those who wanted to visit the strip club, but they were also like Jesus and willing to meet those who were on the road to Emmaus. Who knows if they spoke to anyone outside their group, my hope is they did, but they were present. Something that so many people would feel uncomfortable doing, but they were there. Wow! To me this validates using other methods then the four walled building we think of as church to go and meet people where they are instead of expecting them to come to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get my post re: this Bible Study and how unfortunately society would think that this is the wierd thing to do and not bat an eye at those going into the strip club. What a great witness and what courage it took for them to do this, Go God!!
    I tried to send a post but noted that it did not show up in your blog. So hopefully this one will work this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! All of that post is pretty amazing! I really would love to have heard their story. Was this intentional? But this just shows us, once again, how creative and surprising God is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I can appreciate this group's willingness to situate themselves in a counter-cultural location, I can also see how the lack of visible engagement could come closer to what Rob Bell calls Bullhorn Guy" or what some have experienced this weekend as very conservative preachers have organized and come to Wild Goose Festival in NC, protesting the inclusion of LGBTQ Christians, accusing participants of being on "a wild goose chase" and forsaking "true" Christianity.
    If we're defining baptism as an invitation into a community and into relationships, then there has to be conversation, as well as witness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something humbling about finding yourself in that type of situation, whether intentionally or unintentionally (and I agree with your assessment that it was likely intentional in this case).
    About 100 years ago (or maybe about 14) I ended up (unintentionally in my case) in a similar deal. Okoboji, IA...middle of summer (the busy time)...Saturday night on the main dock where a LOT of people tend to congregate. It felt so entirely counter-cultural to be engaged in worship (we were singing as opposed to doing Bible study) outside of the "safe places." even today I can remember the discomfort when people walked by and took notice. But didn't Jesus send us out into the world? Seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting encounter--but I wonder why you found it sad. Was it the juxtaposition of a negative cultural event (the strip club) vs. a positive cultural event (studying the Bible in community)? You said you didn't know why the young people were studying the Bible there and I, too, wish you'd asked--that might have clarified this question. But on the other hand, by not asking, we are free to speculate. My guess is that it was some sort of protest.

    Then I have to really ask myself whether I would do this myself. I'm not one to participate in protests of this nature and I have to think about why. Am I ashamed of the gospel? Do I doubt such a quiet and nonviolent statement can make a difference? Do I find the whole thing just a little disingenuous, like the protestors are saying that those at the strip club are sinners and they are not.

    These are lots of assumptions, but this is where my mind is headed. I think I need to stop reading blogs and go to sleep!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also watched the video on how to be a Saint and since you sat next to me and translated so perfectly I will call you Blessed! In the past I have been a more private christian, not now since I am in seminary, so I was thinking about how I would feel walking by those kids. Are they truly standing up for Jesus or are they doing the studying in that location to get attention, like a Pharisee? I am in the MA program so I will never walk around with a collar. Would that affect how I would react? I don't think it should, but I feel it would.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit the juxtapoistion of the two is thought provoking. What is even more thought provoking is that you didn't know which scene (the people in line to see strippers or the group studying the Bible) was more odd. I think you and many others would agree the later. Wow! This "notice" is so telling of our society, me included. How has the Word of God disappeared from our view or has it simply changed form?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit it seems strange to me as well. I once read a commentary on John 17 about what it means to be sanctified in the truth. The commentator defined sanctification in one sense as a being made weird (perhaps even counter cultural). This certainly seems to be the case in this story. When the truth of the word is lived out in our lives it sometimes just comes across as down right weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering why you found this setting sad. I think it would take incredible strength to be gathered by the power of the Holy Spirit in such an odd place to study about our Savior who would come to such a place to heal the wounded. The contrast between the Light of the world and the dark forces of the world were certainly in play in a very tangible way that night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart lept for joy while I was reading your post. The power and the intentionality of these young believers speaks volumes. I wish I had witnessed this demonstration of faith...not only for those seated in the bible study but more curiously for those who had to pass by these young folks on their way in. Did they think twice about their choices? As we contemplated the benefits and the downfalls of the social media age, this is one benefit that can be found in intentional physical relationships. My heart screams out, "Way to go!!!" and prays a heartfelt prayer of blessings on this group of believers who followed the example of Christ and went out into the streets to meet the people where they were at. Truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is indeed an interesting action on their part. I'm honestly torn with how I feel about it. There is the worry that those studying the bible were more concerned with making a statement than actually being a part of the study itself, and if this is the case I'm not sure if it sits right with me. On the other hand, if they were legitimately taking part in a bible study and chose the location for no other reason but to show that God can be everywhere in opposition to the notion that "God isn't here/God has no place here" as it pertains perhaps to the strip club than they have done well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You raise a lot of questions with your "word on the street" post, in the world but not of the world; the Word is counter-cultural; however most of all the Word does something. The study that you witnessed did something to you and now because you wrote about it, it does something to us. I would guess that the word did something to the kids who were studying it that night and also to some of the other observers in the crowd. In one way or another the Word transforms all who encounter it.

    ReplyDelete