Sunday, September 14, 2008

I have much to learn... groan!


Reflections on To Know As We Are Known by Parker J. Palmer:
First, it was not nearly as quick of a read as my professor led me to believe. Secondly, while I didn't find much to argue with, I did find it a good foundation piece on a basis for learning and teaching that I'm sure will relate nicely to the context of this course. Parker's contention is that to know is to love and he makes strong arguments for this case.

While "to know is to love" may not have been my choice of words for how we best share or receive knowledge, I do agree that our ability to comprehend the world around us is rested in the relationships we hold; with each other and with the subject matter. I was struck by how many parallels I found in Palmer's book with the work of James Surowiecki in The Wisdom of Crowds. (I'll have to go back and check to see if there are any cross references.) Basically, we are better served when we listen to the voice of the collective whole rather than any individual voice alone, expert or not. (compare Palmer's Moon Game vs. Surowiecki's Gumball Survey)

While there is much to consider in Parker's piece, I have to admit the final chapter may have the biggest impact on me in the coming months here at seminary. Here's Parker on the importance of prayer in the role of learning/teaching:

"In solitude we acknowledge ourselves. In silence we acknowledge the world. In prayer we acknowledge the spiritual bonds that tie us and our world together." (p.124)

The first class this semester began with the lighting of a candle and then a time of silence. As I sat in that silence, I groaned to myself wondering if this was what was to be expected for the rest of the semester. I'm glad to know now that even that groan of my own misdirected frustration was a prayer for understanding and that my groans join together with the groans of Abba Felix's students and all students before, since and yet to come as we seek to find truth in this quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment