Monday, September 29, 2008

Objective vs. Subjective

I suppose my upcoming role as a Christian educator will be one of the most challenging aspects of my calling to ministry. As much as I know that I am an objective thinker, I know that the world around me is an anything but objective place. Nurturing others faith will be a subjective activity.

I imagine that I'll need to cultivate a patience for developing educational strategies that will be unique to each time, place, subject and person. The one-size-fits-all approach I may desire to implement most likely will not generate any lasting contributions to the process. I do feel that one of my gifts is an ability to "read" others frames of reference which should serve me well. I also like to maintain a sense of the world that surrounds the contexts within which we live. At the same time, I know that I will struggle with agenda anxieties and will have to learn to accept greater flexibility in the educational process.

The good news is that while learning is a subjective process, so is teaching. I think there's room for me in there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment